The heart is a musclte – move it!
The heart is a muscle, so like any other muscle in the body, it requires regular exercise in order to work more efficiently. Keeping your heart in shape does not have to involve a gym membership. A heart-healthy exercise routine can be as simple as going on a walk. The American Heart Association recommends taking a 30-minute walk every day to provide substantial benefits to your heart health.
Some of the benefits from adding a 30-minute walk include:
- A reduced risk of coronary heart disease and stroke
- Improved blood pressure, blood sugar levels and blood lipid profile
- Maintaining your body weight and lowering the risk of obesity
- Enhancing your mental well-being
- Reducing the risk of osteoporosis
Other heart- healthy exercise activities include walking the dog, playing ball with the kids, standing while talking on the phone and washing your car. Staying active keeps the heart pumping and provides the heart muscle with much needed exercise.
Find a doctor near you to help keep your heart moving.