Cardiology is the study of the heart and its diseases. According to the American Heart Association, about 83.6 million Americans are living with some form of heart disease or the after-effects of stroke.
Cardiologists are physicians who treat the heart and its diseases using diagnostics and medications. Unlike cardiac surgeons, cardiologists do not perform surgical procedures. They see patients with both routine and complex cases of heart disease and heart conditions.
At Tenet Florida Physician Services, our physicians provide a wide range of heart care, from prevention, diagnostic and treatment programs for:
- Heart failure
- Heart attack
- Arrhythmias (heart rhythm disorders)
- Hypertension (high blood pressure)
- Valvular heart disease
- Congenital heart disease
- Aortic disease
Diagnoses & Symptoms
Your primary care doctor will refer you to a cardiologist for symptoms or issues such as:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest pains
- Heart murmur
- Changes in your electrocardiogram (ECG or EKG)
- A family history of heart conditions or heart-related illnesses
Depending on your heart health concern, you may see one or more cardiology experts for your cardiac disease prevention or treatment. Your cardiologist may perform tests including:
- Echocardiogram – A painless test that uses sound waves to create moving pictures of your heart. The pictures show the size and shape of your heart and how well your heart’s chambers and valves are working.
- Ambulatory EKG – A recording during activity to look for abnormal heart rhythms.
- Exercise/Stress Test – A test that provides information about how your heart works during physical stress or exercise. During this test, you exercise (walk or run on a treadmill or pedal a stationary bike) to make your heart work hard and beat fast.
- Cardiac Catheterization – A procedure in which a long, thin, flexible tube is put into a blood vessel in your arm, groin or neck and threaded to your heart. Through the catheter, your doctor can do diagnostic tests and treatments on your heart. This procedure may be performed by an interventional cardiologist, who works with your cardiologist.
If you were recently diagnosed with heart disease, need a second opinion or you’re looking for a highly skilled, compassionate heart specialist, you can find the care you need at Tenet Florida Physician Services. The Tenet Florida Physician Services network of cardiologists includes some of the leading cardiac specialists in South Florida. When you mention any heart-related symptoms to your primary care doctor, ask to be referred to South Florida’s dedicated team of highly skilled TFPS cardiologists.
Find A Doctor
Mohamed Behairy, MD, FACC
Thanh Duong-Wagner, MD, FACC, FASE
James Gardner, DO
Jonathan Kahan, MD
Eric H. Lieberman, MD, FACC
Leonardo V. Lopez, MD, FACC
Ricardo L. Machado, MD, FACC
Ida Mazza, MD
David Perloff, MD, FACC, FACP
Jose R. Pinero, MD, FACC
Benjamin Ravaee, MD
Jaime J. Sanchez, MD, FACC
Jonathan J. Vafai, MD, FACC, FASE
Craig D. Vogel, DO, FACC, FACP
Visit our Find a Doctor page to find a cardiologist near you!